PLANTERS ENERGY NETWORK – PEN & SUNBEST
PRESENT ACTIVITIES OF PLANTERS ENERGY NETWORK/SUNBESTIt is our pleasure to present the major activities of Planters Energy Network - PEN/SunBest and our renewable energy journey for the country’s sustainable development to reduce fossil fuel - for your kind information and guidance for the future.
OUTLINE OF WORK DONE SO FAR:Solar air heater as a viable technology has been proved by successfully installation of around 25 MWth or 12,207 m2 solar air collector covering 271 projects in agro and industrial processing, creating 1910 jobs inclusive of girls/women. These projects are catalyst to herald many new projects as well as technology transfer to other countries. Apart from solar air heater and solar dryer, large area solar water heater for industrial process heat, boiler pre heating and cooking were installed to a tune of 1,74,000 liters. As a social commitment, we had installed at more than 65 numbers of primary health centers catering to women maternity hot water needs using solar water heater of total capacity 17500 liters/day, benefitting 97,000 women and child and successfully executed more than 1000 no’s of 300 lumen – 3 W solar LED lighting systems at 171 Primary Health Centers of Salem, Dharmapuri, Kallakurichi and Vellore Districts of Tamilnadu – mainly to provide illumination for maternity ward, benefitting 256,500 women and child. Large and medium sized solar power plants were installed for industries, banks, hospitals and domestic needs to a tune of 177 KW.
PEN/SUNBEST MILESTONES :
- Nominated for ASHDEN UK INTERNATIONAL AWARD 2015 basing on the work done on solar thermal field and recived a prize of 1000 UK pounds.
- Dr C Palaniappan had visted large concentrating systems at Europe ( Austria, Swiz, Germany) under a program organized by UNIDO and MNRE
- To address agro processing requirements, more focus is being given to replace completely diesel/fossil fuel usage in dall processing. So far 7 large units are working successfully replacing around 150,000 lit of diesel/y and more such units are in the pipeline.
SUCCESS STORIES IN SOLAR AIR HEATINGThe AMR Dal mill, located in Theni has installed a 230 m2 + 230 m2solar air heaters at its two dall mills. Prior to the installation of solar collector, AMR Dal mill used to spend around Rs. 10,000 per day to the diesel – fired heater for hot air generation. The Dal mill was completely able to replace diesel around 300 days per year and save energy costs.
- Savings in diesel : 80 to 90 liters per day.
- Cost savings by replacing diesel : Rs. 1.0 – 1.2 million/year
- GHG reduction : 60 tonnes/year
INDUSTRIAL PROCESS HEAT- SOLAR PAINT – SHOP:A 270 m2 solar air heater was installed at TVS Motors to reduce the LPG consumption in the paint shop oven. This project has been successful running with a regular savings of LPG gas. The solar air heater operate at 80 – 900C hot air and a maximum of 1050C. This is fourth project on solar paint shop followed after TI Cycles (290m2), Ambattur, TAFE (135 m2) and L & T Pondicherry(135 m2).
CST PROJECTS:To meet the industrial process heat for mid temperature 80 – 1200C, SUNBEST has received empanelment from MNRE as a channel partner for CST. This preludes the successful testing of Compound Parabolic collector (CPC) at its R & D centre in which high temperature above 1000C has been recorded for water and thermal oil. Recently 2 large projects one for Goodricke Group Ltd at West Bengal – around 700 m2 and another for TTK Prestige Ltd., Roorkee are being installed. Many more projects in this sector are in pipe line.
- Basing on the successful venture of solar fish dryer at Sakthikulangara, , Kerala government’s coastal fisheries division had empanelled us for the supply of solar fish dryers in Kerala for the next 3 years and also released an order for 500 kg solar fish dryer.
- SUNBEST has received 2 nos of export orders for solar cassava dryer from Mombasa, Kenya and subsequently received 6 nos for solar dryer from Kenya.
- To address the need of domestic solar dryer in which fruits, vegetables, herbals, etc could be processed - one unit to Pondicherry for a French national in Aurovuille.
- TVS - Turbo Energy Ltd had installed a 20000 litres solar water heating system at their Paiyanoor plant for cooking and washing application. During sunny days the system is able to achieve a temperature above 85 OC.
- Towards social commitment, 4000 LPD solar water heaters at different primary health centres of Salem and Krishnagiri district to cater the maternity purpose were installed. Presently 12500 LPD solar water heatersare installed at 25 primary health centres in Madurai district for maternity purpose.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT:
- TAMIL NADU MINERALS LIMITED ( TAMIN) had requested PEN to carry out a R & D project for reducing diesel consumption in graphite processing. After a lab study, a pilot scale study consisting of 200 kg/hr rotating drum dryer for graphite drying has been demonstrated. This is a prelude to large project to bring down the consumption of 80 litre/h diesel consumption in the factory.
- For solar air collector even in small scale could reach a very high temperature by employing innovative designs in heat transfer and avoidance of heat losses. In our R & D work, we could reach a maximum temperature of 114˚C.
Compound Parabolic collector (CPC) testing:
CONCLUSION:We are a unique organisation having 25 years of experience, involved in the 3 spheres of solar applications namely solar air heating, solar water heating and solar power. We have a niche for solar air heating mainly to address industrial process heat as well as agro processing. With all your guidance we hope to achieve a faster percolation of this technology to address country’s multiple problems.
Milestones in Renewable Energy | PEN & SUNBEST